Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Never cut off your nose to spite your face

Nastiness online can cost you a sale. I don't care what anyone thinks. You cannot go into a public forum, be it a blog, forum, or chat and act an ass and expect to get sales. It just does not work that way. Go into a local shop and let the owner treat you like crap and you tell me you stayed and gave him your money. I guarantee you , you left.

I had an encounter with an Etsy seller just recently who decided to be rude to me in open forum. Not only did I notice it, but other sellers noticed it as well, and it was unwarranted. I looked in her shop and she had some really lovely things, very talented at what she does, uses them tiny tiny crochet and knitting hooks and does fabulous work. But she's salty as a cow lick. Just so happen I click on the shop next to her, and she sold knitting things as well. This second seller is always nice, never makes waves, and is always gracious and friendly in chat. Well, guess who's shop I spent my money in. Let's just say too much salt is not good for your health. Or your business.

It always amazes me how people with low sales don't stop and think that their attitude and the way they treat others really affects their selling power. It's not only attitude, it's the what you talk about in chat, in the forums. People who are chatting with you are BUYERS as well as sellers. Maybe next time you open your pie hole you take that into consideration. Your buyers are the people you chat with on a daily basis. I don't think anyone in the Apple store actually told someone to screw themselves (and kept their job no doubt) while someone had their wallet open to spend a little coin.

Have a clue, sellers.
Other shops buy from you.
Etsy is a HUGE network of networks.
Word gets out.
Even people who are buyers only have a network. And they chat, and they blog, and they let other buyers know how you behave online. Word of mouth applies online, too.

Online selling does not give one free reign to act any way they please. Treat your online shop like a brick and mortar, and act like your mama and papa raised you to have some sense. Really.

1 comment: