Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Service at it's best

Hubs and I went out for a late night bite to eat at Jim's Restaurant at 1604 and Nacogdoches in San Antonio this evening. Now for those of you who don't know what a Jim's is, it's your basic diner, serving home style breakfasts, sandwiches and dinner, all for under a sawbuck a person. So I gotta give kudos to the waitress that helped us out tonight. Her name was AJ. Always courteous, friendly, and never gets my order wrong. The best part is, she always looks me in the eye when I talk to her and she doesn't ask me "how's everything?" every time I take a bite. Good table service involves not only keeping my coffee cup full, but staying out of my way so I can grub down in peace. I waited tables for eight years, and it's hard work. You are basically contract labor hustling for the best buck. Don't ever look at waitstaff as people who don't work hard. Shoot, the only service industry professional that works harder for a dollar is a stripper. Now, imagine if "Heather" (I knew a stripper by that name) gave bad service. I'd think quarters and dimes in a t-back get pretty uncomfortable after a while.

No comments: